We at McAfee, LLC, including our affiliates (“McAfee”, “we”, “us”), care deeply about privacy, security, and online safety, all of which are a significant part of our essential mission: to protect users of our products and services (“you” and “your”) from the risks of theft, disruption, and unauthorized access to their online information and activities. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) is designed to inform you about how we collect, use, and share your personal data through our website (our “Site”), products, services, and web-based and mobile applications (collectively, the “Services”) or when you interact with us.
McAfee sells products and services directly to consumers (you can find more information about those products here, “Consumer Products”), as well as to corporations and business customers (you can find more information about those products here, “Corporate Products”). This Privacy Notice applies both to the information we collect from you or your device when you download one of our Services and to the information we collect when one of our distribution partners or business customers installs our Services on your device.
When you access or use our Services, you acknowledge that you have read this Notice and understand its contents. Your use of our Services and the Site and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice, any applicable Terms of Service (including any applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes) and any applicable End User License Agreement.
As McAfee grows, our business changes, and we may update this Notice at any time as we deem appropriate to reflect those changes. If there are any material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you by email, in-product notification, or as otherwise required by applicable law. It is important that you check back and make sure that you have reviewed the most current version of this Notice.
This Notice applies to all users of our Services across the world. If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have additional rights, which are explained in this Notice.
In order to provide our services, we collect information. Some information you provide directly to us, some we collect automatically through our Services, and some is collected from third parties. In this Notice, “Personal Data” refers to data that could be used, alone or in combination with other data, to identify you as an individual.
We collect information you provide to us. For example, we collect information when you purchase a product or service, create an account, fill out a form, participate in a contest or promotion, request customer service, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of Personal Data you may provide includes:
- Contact information (such as name, email address, mailing address, and phone number);
- Payment information (including payment card numbers and associated identifiers, billing address, and bank account information); and
- Account log-in credentials (which for some Services may include social network credentials).
We may also collect other information from or about you, such as information about what products you purchased, your interests, demographic information, photographs and videos, and biometric data such as fingerprints or voice prints. You may also provide us with additional data.
We automatically collect information about your interactions with the Services as well as devices on which the Services are installed. In some cases, we automatically collect information about other devices connected to the same network as the device on which the Services are installed.
For example, we may collect and use the following:
- Information about the products you looked at or searched for and the Services you used, including time spent and other statistical information;
- Details about your computers, devices, applications, and networks, including internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, Bluetooth device IDs, mobile device ID, mobile advertising identifiers, MAC address, IMEI, Advertiser IDs, and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type and language, language preferences, battery level, on/off status, geo-location information, hardware type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, the amount of time you spend on each page, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, and other actions taken through use of the Services such as preferences. We may collect this information through our Services or through other methods of web analysis; and
- Details about your internet, app, or network usage (including URLs or domain names of websites you visit, information about the applications installed on your device, or traffic data); and performance information, crash logs, and other aggregate or statistical information.
In order to provide you our Services, including to detect and evaluate malware and spam, we may scan, collect, and store data from your files, including emails, attachments, email addresses, metadata, and URLs and traffic data.
We collect this information through our Services and through technologies such as cookies, web beacons or web bugs, and clear GIFs. Please see our Cookie Notice for more information about the cookies and similar technologies that we use and the choices available to you.
Note on Verizon Safe Wi-Fi
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may receive information about you from other sources and combine that information with the information we collect directly. Examples of information we may receive from other sources include: updated delivery or payment information used to correct our records; purchase or redemption information; and customer support and enrollment information. For our identity protection Consumer Products, we also may collect credit or identity information which we use to help prevent and detect fraud.
Certain Services may request permission to access your location. Where you grant this permission, we will collect information about your location using GPS, wireless, or Bluetooth technology. You can control access to precise location information through your mobile device settings. We also may look up your IP address to determine your general location.
To Help Protect You
When you install or use one of our Services, it will run in the background of your device or environment to help predict threats and better protect you, your devices, and your information. For example, McAfee may use information to:
- Analyze data sent to/from your device(s) to isolate and identify threats, vulnerabilities, viruses, suspicious activity, spam, and attacks, and communicate with you about potential threats;
- Participate in threat intelligence networks, conduct research, and adapt products and services to help respond to new threats;
- Encrypt your data, lockdown a device, or back-up or recover your data;
- Check for Service updates and create performance reports on our Services, to ensure they are performing properly; and
- Look for misuses of your data when you use our identity monitoring products.
To Run Our Business
We also use the information we collect for other business purposes, including to:
- Analyze your behavior to measure, customize, and improve our Site and Services, including developing new products and services;
- Advertise McAfee products and services that we think may be of interest to you;
- Establish and manage accounts and licenses, including by collecting and processing payments and completing transactions;
- Provide customer support, troubleshoot issues, manage subscriptions, and respond to requests, questions, and comments;
- Communicate about, and administer participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers and promotions;
- Conduct market and consumer research and trend analyses;
- Enable posting on our blogs, forums, and other public communications;
- Perform accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation, and collection activities;
- Prevent, detect, identify, investigate, and respond to potential or actual claims, liabilities, prohibited behavior, and criminal activity; and
- Comply with and enforce legal requirements, agreements, and policies.